The National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 aims to transform the Indian education system by providing high-quality education to all, at every level. Under the aegis of NEP, various changes are being made to school education to shift towards a competency-based approach in curriculum, pedagogy, and assessment on a high-priority basis. Several initiatives have already been taken towards transforming the teaching-learning process at the school level to promote competency-based learning and education. These initiatives are increasingly incorporating innovative pedagogies in classrooms and prioritizing developing competencies through education.
NEP recognizes the central role of teachers in driving fundamental reforms in the education system. It has become more important, than ever before, to collaborate with these frontline stakeholders in the process of implementing NEP. Therefore, to expand the resources which support the shift from rote learning methods to more skill and competency-based learning, the Ministry of Education invites all teachers across India to participate in a challenge.
Under this challenge, teachers will submit self-designed competency-based test/assessment items on MyGov App. The submissions will be reviewed and shortlisted by the Ministry of Education and NCERT. Teachers providing the selected entries will be given a certificate by NCERT and the respective submissions will be compiled together to form a repository of competency-based item bank.
Note- Teachers are requested to go through the syllabus for mentioning the domain with which the items align. Syllabus prescribed by NCERT and State Boards at the level of Elementary, Secondary & Senior Secondary Classes can be referred for citing the domains.
To access the NCERT syllabus for Elementary, Secondary & Senior Secondary Classes please use the link – https://ncert.nic.in/syllabus.php
This challenge will help gather insights from teachers based on their ground realities and requirements. The test items/questions thus developed, will also help shift the culture of assessment in the schooling system from one that is summative and primarily tests rote memorization skills to one that is more regular and formative. The introduction of more competency-based assessments will promote engagement, learning, and development for our students, and test higher-order skills, such as analysis, critical thinking, and conceptual clarity.
We are hereby celebrating Teachers’ Day i.e., Shikshak Parv 2022, by inviting teachers to participate in this challenge by creating innovative and challenging assessment items to engage students and transform the teaching-learning process.
Terms and conditions
- Submissions should be in line with competencies of different subjects, covering different grades.
- Teachers are requested to go through the syllabus for mentioning the domain with which the item aligns.
- The syllabus prescribed by NCERT and State Boards at the level of elementary, secondary, and senior secondary classes can be referred for citing the domains. To access the NCERT syllabus for elementary, secondary, and senior secondary classes, please use the link- https://ncert.nic.in/syllabus.php
- Every school should try to prepare three items/questions based on learning outcomes of different subjects, covering different grades.
- Each school can prepare questions/items for Foundational Stage (classes 1-2), Preparatory (classes 3-5), Middle (classes 6-8) and Secondary (classes 9-12).
- Submissions must be submitted in the following template. Click here
- Submissions must be legible and clear to view (uploaded document).
- Participants must note that the submissions can be used by NCERT.
- Submissions may be in any language as per the dropdown menu that is in English & Hindi.
- Please note that the submission must be original and should not violate any provisions of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957. Anyone found infringing on others’ copyright would be disqualified from the challenge.
- Mention of the participant’s name/email/phone number in the body of the submission will lead to disqualification. The participants must only mention their details in the PDF or Doc.
- The challenge is open to all school teachers in India.
- Participants are required to complete the registration process on MyGov
Submissions will be accepted between 6th and 31st March 2023, only.